So, I've had a few things happen in the last few days that have me thinking about my personality. Now, in no way is this a blog searching for compliments, it's just thinking "outloud" so to speak. When I had my review with my boss back in July, he made a statement to me that at first I didn't think about that much, but I have been a lot in the last few days due to said events. He said to me that my personality is both a blessing and a curse. He said that people may not take me seriously because of my personality. He didn't elaborate, but I've been thinking it over and I'm not really sure how you "fix" that, or even if I should. I want, of course, to be taken seriously, especially at work, but I don't want to have to change me to do that. I think over the years I have matured, a LOT, but the people I work with here in New York don't really know the previous Sundi to understand that leaps I've made.
So, does being overly friendly, and outspoken, jovial, whatever, does that constitute a lack of ability, or seriousness? Also, and I say this very cautiously, but I do feel at times that my southern accent doesn't help the situation. It has been stated and I feel that at times I've been a "victim" of this line of thinking, that when someone from the north hears a southern accent they sometimes assume the person is stupid. No, I'm not saying that as a blanket statement, but it does happen and yes, it's happened by more than just people in the North.
Not sure where to go or what to do at this point with all of this thinking, but it does leave me with lots to think about!
Thursday, February 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment