Last night John and I went to see a play, Tryst. It was a small theater and we were on the front row. During intermission, I stood up, facing him and we were talking. I was a bit tired of sitting, so I decided to stand. So, as we are talking and laughing, as we always do, the woman two seats over from John starts telling me to hush. She said that she didn't need/want to hear my conversation. I said excuse me? I couldn't believe how rude she was. She didn't ask nicely, which btw, still would have made me mad, she was just rude, no manners at all. John turned to her and said, I'm deaf so she has to talk to me like this. LOL Now, honestly I have no clue that my voice carries that much, but obviously it does. But either way, this was intermission and the entire theater had people up, talking, laughing and being loud. It wasn't like I was the only one. I told her she didn't need to be so bitter. She of course didn't look me in the eye after that.
So, after the play, John and I were talking about it and he and I both feel that she wasn't annoyed by the volume, she was really annoyed by the accent. This of course isn't the first time that's happened to me. I am told that I have an accent, but I of course, can't hear it. I don't see how it's so bad. I don't care for a lot of the accents around the world, but I would never tell someone to be quiet because of it. It's called acceptance.
Oh, John also said that he thought she thought she could intimidate me, you know, dumb southerner and all that. When she didn't and I answered back, that's when she wouldn't look at me.
I told John I wanted to stand up on the stage and tell the whole audience that they had to quiet down because the princess in the front row needed it quiet. I really would have done that, some of you know that, but I didn't.
The whole thing just burned me up. Prejudices come in all forms, right?!
Since moving here, I've actually had someone say to me, "I have a southern friend." You know, like I have a gay friend or I have a black friend or a Mexican friend. Never have I felt so much like a minority! LOL
Thursday, March 30, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Well, if you are a minority you are in very good company. :-)
The worst experience I've ever had was in Cape Cod. Every time Chad and I opened our mouths people looked at us like we were talking in tongues. LOL, I guess maybe to those yankees we were. :-)
You'd be surprised what kind of comments I get about my accent from northerners, and mine isn't what any good southerner would call a thick accent. I'm disgusted with the way she acted, but I can't say I'm surprised.
It's not the first time this has happened here. Bryon and I get it all the time when we are together. I just can't get over how rude people can be and feel they have the right to say something.
Thanks for the support my southern sisters!
OK. So now we are limited to this for our communication. I can get with it. No problem. Southern women don't even worry about those sorts, bless their little hearts, I mean really darling, we are raised to be polite and gentle and we use it to our advantage.
Carolyn, love you comment! Way cool. I agree, ice breaker not barrier.
Woodard, I know, I'm an email behind. Forgive! And what you say is so true darling, we are just sweet polite women.
No, see the trouble is, that this southern woman who was taught how to take you down without you even knowing it has turned a bit New Yorker. Not a pretty mix! I'm so into taking you down without you knowing it, but then making sure you see it! LOL
I would get "You're not from around here, are you?" when I was in Vermont. I thought having a sun tan gave me away! I wouldn't fret about it. NYC needs a dash of Southern Hospitality as only Miss Sundi McCormick can give!
I'll be sure to do that. LOL, she would have loved that, I'm sure.
Post a Comment