Saturday, March 04, 2006

Pearl...

My friend Pearl is 91. I met her a few years ago when I started volunteering for the Hallmark. She was fiesty and independent and funny and sweet and just a joy to be around. She and I became friends and would go to dinner, plays, Atlantic City, and just hang out together. She and a another lady there, became my surrogate grandmothers for me. I have always had a love of older people. I love to hear the stories, hang out with them and get to know them. Pearl and I are friends and I adore her.

About a month and a half ago, I went to see her and found out that she had just been told she has pancreatic cancer. This has totally changed her, of course. She was always in a meeting for the community, going to the YWCA for bridge and leading the Hallmark in all kinds of events. For the last month and a half, she's just lost the ability to do anything. She has lost so much weight and just can't function much at all. I've tried to go visit her but when I call, she's not up for it. I'm going to try again tomorrow after church. I hope I can see her then.

She's just a sweetheart and thinking that she will not be here, is hard. I just lost my last grandparent in August and to lose a surrograte grandma so soon, just seems so unfair.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Persist. Visit her and care for her much. My grandmother died with pancreatic cancer - it is a quick,and yes painful, death.

Sundi said...

Thanks for that Michelle*. I will do that. I plan to go see her after church and at least just say hey and hug her.